Starting a Business
The Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce is one of many organizations that assist entrepreneurs who are starting a business or who need assistance in making their business successful. Resources for those starting a business include:
Starting a business can be both an exciting and daunting venture. But, with some assistance and the right resources, you will have the tools needed to be a successful entrepreneur.
Are you ready to be an entrepreneur?
Before you begin your quest to start business, you need to ask yourself several questions to make sure that being an entrepreneur is right for you. The following checklists will help you get started:
- Checklist for starting a business
- Self evaluation for going into business
Business and Marketing Plans
Once you have completed the checklists and determined to go ahead with a business start-up, you’ll need to create both a business and marketing plan. The following two outlines will help you develop the plans:
Besides taking out business loans and using personal funds, entrepreneurs also may qualify for small business loans and grants. Several local sources are available:
- Revolving Loan Fund for businesses opening or expanding in downtown Oshkosh
- Recruitment Fund Grant for businesses opening or expanding in downtown Oshkosh
- Wisconsin Small Business Development Center
Every business needs to obtain a federal identification number, an employer’s identification number and sellers permits, if applicable.
Forms are available at:
- Internal Revenue Service
- Wisconsin Department of Revenue
- Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions
Oshkosh Commercial Property Search (linked to http://listings.oshkoshchamber.com/cgi-bin/exec/search.cgi)
Prospecting (linked to current online Membership Directory-